Shri Surya Narayan Mandir
Surya Veer Sang
YEAR 3 SYLLABUS
Pandit Sewram Hardowar
Year 3 is the third year of the four-year intensive course on the Fundamental Doctrines of Sanatan Dharma. The objective of this course is to help young Hindu students gain a more advanced understanding on the glory of Sanatan Dharma. The third year provides students with an abstract understanding built upon knowledge acquired in the first and second year. Students will have a deeper understanding on the aim of Hinduism, concept of Gods, Hindu ethics, Hindu Shastras and a brief introduction to Vedanta with focus on body, mind (Chitta) and Jiva.
TOPICS TO BE STUDIED:
1. Sanatan Dharma
2. Om, the most symbolic name Of God
3. Books on Hinduism (Shastras)
4. Authors of Vedas, Mahabharat, Ramayan, Puranas
5. Lord Ganesha/Gowri Ma/Lord Shiva
6. Mother Saraswattie/ Vishnu Bhagwan etc
8. Bhagwatam – Stories of Lord Krishna
9. Detailed Discussion on the Ramayan
10. Bhagwat Gita, detailed overview
11. Intro to Vedanta, Mind, Sense, Body, Atma, Satyam and Mithya
12. Values, Pillars of Sanatan Dharma
13. Fasts and Festivals
14. Overview of complete puja
15. Famous Personalities of Sanatan Dharma
Student must successfully pass the Year 2 studies on Sanatan Dharma
Various Shastras of Sanatan Dharma: Ramayan, Bhagavad Gita, Puranas and Vedas etc.
SPECIAL PROJECTS TO BE INCLUDED:
To participate in mandir activities such as Sunday morning puja and any other functions as needed.
METHOD OF STUDENT EVALUATION:
1. Tests (3 per semester) 40%
2. Final Exam 30%
3. Class Participation 10%
4. Homework 10%
5. Mandir Attendance 10%
Over all students are expected to have an average of 70% in order to graduate.
All students are expected to attend class every Friday from 7 to 8 pm. Anyone with excessive absences of more than 5 times per school year without reason will not be promoted to the next year regardless of grade.
In addition all students are encouraged to attend Sunday service at least twice a month.
CLASSROOM BEHAVIOUR EXPECTATIONS
Disruptive behavior is unacceptable. Students are expected to be attentive and respectful to teacher, elders and other students. Proper attire is required and SSNM T-shirts and light clothing are preferable.
ASSESSMENT OF OUTCOMES
80% OF CLASS WILL PASS WITH A 70% or better.